Photobucket

Thursday, October 21, 2010

In Another Life, I Would be an Archaeologist

I hate mortality, and I wish I could live a million lives. I have way too many goals and interests for just one life, but alas, no elixir of life has yet been discovered (or more likely it exists, but it's a part of a secret magical society or depends on acquiring a specific possession). I think this is why I love reading and history and museums - they all provide a little way to live another life. It's these thoughts that make stories like this give me a full-on nerd boner.

Swiss archaeologists in Zurich unearthed a 5,000-year-old door that may be one of the oldest ever found in Europe. Based on tree rings in the door, they date it back to the year 3,063 B.C. -- which is about when construction on Stonehenge began. How awesome is this?! Apparently they found it while building an underground parking lot for Zurich's opera house.

If I ever have lots of money, beyond just traveling the world to see all its beauty, I will for sure be visiting sites like this. I get all goose-bumpy when I'm at a location where I KNOW a part of its past, and I also get sad thinking about all the moments lost forever... which is likely why I'm a pack rat with a house full of old things from dead relatives.

Check out the full story HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment