Photobucket

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Lollapalooza 2010: I LOVED You :)

I had a GREAT time at Lollapalooza. It seems every year is so much better than the last. And while I wish Of Montreal could be there every year, I had a pretty great time without them. Here are some random comments and clips from my weekend.

Top 5 Shows:
1. Green Day - I was thoroughly impressed with Green Day's live show. It was entertaining, involved the fans at a level I've never seen before, and Billie Joe has an amazing voice live! You put all this with the fact that I was addicted to Nimrod for at least a year or two of my youth, and the fact that my brother was there, and it just couldn't be topped. GREAT time.

Here's a clip of "Basket Case"

At many points throughout the show, Green Day invited fans up on stage. One such instance was when he asked "who here knows all the words to this song?" as "Longview" was starting in the background. He grabbed a guy from the crowd who said he did, and BJ gave him the mic and the guy ran with it! He had a freakin' blast! Not only did he know all the words, but he screamed it out while running across the stage, totally living it up. At the end, BJ gave him the guitar he was playing. Here's a clip of that:

Click HERE to see "King for a Day" and HERE for "Holiday"

2. Arcade Fire - Arcade Fire was AMAZING. I had high expectations for their show, as I've heard nothing but great things about it AND I love their new album. Needless to say, I was NOT disappointed. Here's a clip of "Neighborhood #2." I have another video, but YouTube is giving me the business about it, so oh well.

3. Mumford & Sons - I really liked their album Sigh No More before I saw them, and since the show I've only grown to love it more. These guys make amazing music. They incorporate great harmonies, beautiful lyrics, and an energy that either makes you want to cry or dance. I absolutely LOVE them, and their performance was impressive. I WILL definitely go see them again. Here's a clip from "Roll Away Your Stone"

4. Foxy Shazam - I discovered these guys while researching music in Ohio, and I was immediately struck by their music. I have a thing for good rock and roll, especially rock and roll with a live show that just doesn't give a fuck. I heard that's what these guys were all about, and I totally missed their Beat Kitchen performance earlier this year. When the line-up was posted, these guys were one of the first "must sees" I noted. My God, am I glad I prioritized them. LOVE LOVE LOVE them. In a move that rarely happens, but thankfully it did a few times this year at Lolla, my high expectations were met and exceeded.

Their show is littered with random moments, including dramatic dialog, perverse dancing, and shit talking. At one point, Foxy asked the crowd for a cigarette. The stage was soon flooded with full cartons. He grabbed one, opened it and put all the cigarettes in his mouth. Asked next for a lighter, and again received dozens. He grabbed one, lit all the cigarettes, smoked them all in two massive drags, then turned them around and ATE them. With the crowd in a confusing state of shock, disgust and love, he then offered anyone there $20 if they could kill him after the show. Then they went right back into rock and roll, and I fell in love. I've pretty much had their self-titled album on repeat since. Here's a clip from "Wanna Be Angel," which should give you an idea of their show, but doesn't do the whole set justice.

5. Semi Precious Weapons - I've loved Semi Precious Weapons for a few years now for the same reason as Foxy Shazam = great rock and roll with an exceptional live show. I saw these guys for the first time for free on a Thursday at Cobra Lounge, and I've since followed them to Double Door, Bottom Lounge, Subterranean, the Metro, and even at Minneapolis' The Fine Line Music Cafe. I'm so happy that they played Lollapalooza this year! (which I'm sure is because I voted for them to play this year and not because they're touring with Lady Gaga) I didn't get a video of them here, but believe me when I tell you they were just as fabulous as ever. Lady Gaga even joined them on stage and stage-dived with Justin. Delicious.

Other acts that definitely deserve a mention:
  • The Constellations -Their album Southern Gothic is pretty fun, definitely an eccentric rock vibe that's very danceable. Their live show was energetic and really entertaining. I definitely recommend checking them out HERE.
  • Hot Chip - I saw the first handful of songs by Hot Chip, and luckily they were most of my favorites. It was awesome seeing them live. I'm a big fan of some of their stuff, and if The Black Keys weren't playing opposite of them, I definitely would have invested in a better spot and danced the whole set.
  • The Black Keys - Did anyone even doubt that their set would be awesome? It was. I really enjoyed them, and I would love to see them again.
  • Blitzen Trapper - I swear I've looked into these guys in the past, and didn't really find them to be anything exceptional. I really liked their live set though, so I'm dedicated to opening them back up. Let me know if you have any song/album recommendations I should start with.
Also, I saw Spoon, Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, Metric, Skybox, Royal Bangs, The Strokes, Lady Gaga, Hockey, Yeasayer, Frightened Rabbit, MGMT, and The Temper Trap. They were all enjoyable. :)

Hope you had a GREAT Lollapalooza!

No comments:

Post a Comment